Investigação

Início / Investigação / Apresentações / Thymovar efficacy in fighting Varroa destructor in Mediterranean A. m. iberica colonies

Thymovar efficacy in fighting Varroa destructor in Mediterranean A. m. iberica colonies

Ano
2004
Abstract

.The population dynamics of both Varroa and their host honey bee colonies were monitored, during 3 months, in a single apiary of brood right A. m. iberica colonies kept in a typically autumnal Mediterranean climate. Fifteen Varroa-infested colonies were treated with Thymovar (thymol), eight infested colonies were left untreated, and eight virtually Varroa-free colonies were maintained permanently treated with Apistan. Periodical evaluations of all those colonies unravelled the dynamics of Varroa fall, as well as the changing populations, of both mite and host colonies, during a 3 months period. Thymovar treated colonies suffered no significant negative impact in terms of their population dynamics. During the first thymovar application (3 weeks), 72% of the total number of mature Varroa these colonies hosted (circa 2700 mites) was recovered from colony bottom boards. During the following 4 weeks of a second thymovar application, another 22% more of dead Varroa were found, making for an estimated global thymovar treatment efficacy of approximately 94%. An estimated residual population of 167 Varroa was then removed from those colonies within a six-week Apistan treatment. The results suggest Thymovar as a good alternative (to Apistan and Apivar) in fighting Varroa in Portugal

Palavras Chave

Thymovar; Timol; Varroa; Protecção integrada; Abelhas / Thhymovar; Thymol; Varroa; IPM; Honey Bees.

Tipo de Apresentação
Comunicação oral
Tipo de Revisão
Internacional
Âmbito Geográfico
Internacional
Situação
Publicado
Área de Trabalho
Referência

Murilhas, A (2004). Thymovar efficacy in fighting Varroa destructor in Mediterranean A. m. iberica colonies. First European Conference of Apidology, pp.108-109. EURBEE. Udine, Itália.